Animal welfare certification
You can write to us to request certification to conduct animal welfare inspections on farms.
Your certification will specify the circumstances in which you can conduct inspections. For example, you must always respect farmers’ privacy.
Certified animal welfare officers can give advice and instructions to farmers.
Animal welfare officers certified by us have more extensive powers than private animal welfare organisations’ officers.
About the certification
To become a certified animal welfare officer, you need to
- be familiar with the animal species in question and the applicable animal welfare regulations and
- have passed the Finnish Food Authority’s animal welfare officer training.
We will review your application to determine whether you qualify.
There is no application form, so you need to describe your circumstances in your own words. Make sure to include at least the following information:
- the kind of inspections that you wish to conduct
- evidence of your familiarity (qualifications or work experience) with the animal species in question and the applicable animal welfare regulations
- proof of your having completed animal welfare officer training.
Animal welfare officer training courses are run by the Finnish Food Authority. You can contact the Finnish Food Authority to enquire about the date and time of the next course.
We can certify you indefinitely or for a fixed period of time. We can also cancel your certification.