Challenging decisions

The Regional State Administrative Agency is the appeal authority in issues separately provided for in the legislation.

You can file a claim for rectification with us at the Regional State Administrative Agency concerning certain decisions by the education provider concerning pupils and students. In addition, we process claims for rectification on decisions concerning special care programmes and special care services.

As a result of a claim for rectification, we can overturn or change a decision, if it is unlawful. We may also reject the claim for rectification.

How to file a claim for rectification

There is no separate form for filing a claim for rectification, but it must be filed in writing. 
The claim for rectification must include the following information:

  • which aspects of the decision you are challenging and why
  • name and contact information of the party filing the claim for rectification (postal address, e-mail, telephone number) 
  • a copy or image of the decision with the appeal instructions. 

You can also attach other documents that support the claim to the claim for rectification.

Send the claim for rectification and its attachments by post or by e-mail to our registry. A link to the contact information of Regional State Administrative Agency’s registries is provided at the bottom of this page. You will receive a confirmation of receipt from the registry if you send the request for a revised decision to the registry by email.

In matters related to pupils and students, the claim for rectification must be filed within 14 days of receiving the decision. In matters related to special care, the appeal period is 30 days.

Processing the claim for rectification is free of charge.

You can appeal these decisions

You can appeal against a decision concerning:

  • enhanced or special support 
  • support services for children (interpretation and assistance services and aids).

In pre-primary and basic education, you can appeal a decision on:

  • school admission (including local school, secondary option school, flexible basic education)
  • the right to education in religion and ethics
  • special support
  • special education arrangements
  • extended compulsory education
  • starting basic education a year earlier or later
  • repeating a year
  • final assessment 
  • progress in studies (grade-independent studies)
  • support services required for participation in teaching (interpretation and assistant services, other teaching services, special aids) when the pupil is in the scope of special support.

In general upper secondary education, you can appeal a decision concerning:

  • student admission
  • additional time for completing the studies
  • loss of student place
  • accreditation of completed studies
  • special study arrangements
  • the right to education in religion and ethics
  • progress in studies
  • final assessment
  • the right to participate in the matriculation examination or a test included in the examination.

In respect of vocational education and training, you can ask us to review decisions relating to

  • the period during which preparatory education must be completed,
  • student admission,
  • specials needs,
  • adaptation of assessment criteria,
  • deviations from competence requirements or learning outcomes,
  • drug testing obligations,
  • the right to suspend studies, and
  • whether or not a student should be deemed to have dropped out.

In basic education in the arts, you can appeal a decision on: 

  • student fees 
  • student admission.

In special care, you can appeal a decision concerning:

  • receiving special care services
  • approving an individual special care programme.

What is a special care programme?  

A special care programme must be drawn up for everyone whose development or mental activity has been hindered or interrupted due to an illness or injury that is congenital or that occurred during their formative years. Certain services can be granted to the person as special care. In that case, the services provided based on other legislation have not been sufficient or suitable. The need for services is based on intellectual disability and a need for special care.

The services arranged as special care in accordance with the Act on Special Care for People with Intellectual Disabilities must be based on a special care programme.

The special care programme is a decision that shows:

  • the services granted as special care
  • the way in which special care is implemented
  • when the special care programme will be revised.

This means that it summarises all services the client receives as special care. Because the decision can be appealed, a claim for rectification can be filed on the decision. 

Based on the special care programme, the municipality makes the decision to implement services for the client as special care. A claim for rectification on these decisions can also be filed with the Regional State Administrative Agency.

You can find more information in the Handbook on Disability Services by the National Institute for Health and Welfare, for example.

You can appeal a decision on compulsory education concerning:

  • the assessment provided in connection with the certificate of participation in education 
  • period required for completing education for severely disabled people 
  • student admission 
  • the student being deemed to have discontinued studies. 

You can appeal a decision concerning

  • dropping out of compulsory education 
  • a study place indicated by the municipality of residence in preparatory education for degree education or preparatory education for work and independent living.

In respect of preparatory education for degree education, you can ask us to review decisions relating to:

  • student admission
  • granting additional time for completing studies
  • right to suspend studies
  • whether or not a student should be deemed to have dropped out
  • specials needs 
  • support services required for participation in teaching when the student is in the scope of special support and the preparatory education is provided by a comprehensive education provider. Support services refer to interpretation and assistant services, other teaching services and special aids.