Disposal of water from animal transport vehicles

Many contagious animal diseases spread from country to country through animal transport. Fish and crayfish are transported in tanks, and the water in the tanks can carry pathogens of many diseases. This is why the water cannot be released into the environment.

If a tank originating in another country must be emptied and refilled in Finland, the old water must be disposed of in a safe manner.

Water disposal facilities are authorised by Regional State Administrative Agencies. The criteria for authorisation are that

  • procedures are in place for refilling tanks and disposing of used water in a manner that prevents the spread of contagious animal diseases and
  • the facility is not located in the immediate vicinity of natural bodies of water that could be contaminated in the process.

There are currently no authorised water disposal facilities in Finland.

You can seek authorisation for your water disposal facility by writing to your nearest Regional State Administrative Agency.

Your application should include

  • contact information for yourself and your water disposal facility, i.e.
    • name,
    • address,
    • telephone number,
    • email address, and
    • business ID,
  • a description of your operation, and
  • a description of the safeguards that you have introduced to prevent the spread of animal diseases.

Send your application to the competent Regional State Administrative Agency’s registry. A link to the contact information of Regional State Administrative Agencies’ registries is provided at the bottom of this page.

Remember to also let the competent Regional State Administrative Agency know of any material changes in your business.

Water disposal facilities can be inspected by local authority veterinary officers. The objective of inspections is to check that the operation complies with the description given in the application as well as any terms and conditions specified in the authorisation.

Our processing fees are based on the volume of work involved in processing each application.

Contact information for registries

Links to legal texts