Registration of lost property offices
Lost property offices need a licence from the Regional State Administrative Agency to operate. We keep a list of licensed lost property offices.
The lost property offices are responsible for any property found at institutions. This refers to lost property found in places such as:
- public transport vehicles, railway, bus and coach stations and other similar transport facilities
- government agencies, educational institutions and hospitals
- business premises, cultural and sports venues or other similar premises.
The police are responsible for lost property found in locations other than those mentioned above, for example on the street or bus stops.
Information on applying for a licence
There is no form for applying a licence for a lost property office, but you have to include the following information in your application:
- applicant’s name, municipality of residence and contact details
- lost property office sites and their contact details
- name and personal identity code of the office manager. If the personal identity code is not available, use the date of birth.
Send your application for a licence to operate a lost property office to the registry of the Regional State Administrative Agency for Western and Inland Finland: [email protected] The Regional State Administrative Agency for Western and Inland Finland grants licences to operate lost property offices located anywhere in Finland.
For more information, contact Heidi Turpela, Senior Officer, tel. +358 295 018 624, [email protected]
The processing of the licence application is subject to a fee. For more information on our fees, visit page Fees and charges.
The licence to operate a lost property office is granted if the applicant meets the following criteria:
- the applicant has the right to engage in trade in Finland
- the applicant is not bankrupt
- if the applicant is a natural person, they are over 18 years of age and their capacity to act has not been restricted
- the applicant has provided the details of a manager who meets the criteria specified in the Lost Property Act.
The Regional State Administrative Agency must prohibit the operation of a lost property office which operates without a licence in violation of the Lost Property Act. The prohibition may be reinforced by a notice of a conditional fine.
The lost property office manager must ensure that the lost property office operations legally. Upon request, the lost property office must provide the Regional State Administrative Agency with the documents and information needed for enforcement.
Links to legal texts
Topics that might interest you
Supreme Administrative Court
Decision of the Supreme Administrative Court on fees collected by the Lost Property Office (in Finnish)
Regional State Administrative Agency for Western and Inland Finland’s newsletter (in Finnish)
Active enforcement of lost property offices – excessive fees and charges