Contamination of water supply
Contamination of water supply refers to an unexpected or sudden situation that may result in the contamination of water supplied to households. Managing the situation may require adopting unusual management models and communication practices.
Preparing for water supply issues
The municipality’s health protection authority must draw up an emergency preparedness plan. The plan must be drawn up together with other authorities and agencies.
At the Regional State Administrative Agencies, our tasks include:
- helping local health protection authorities prepare to different emergencies
- organising education and training events together with other authorities
- coordinating and, where necessary, supporting the efforts of health protection authorities and producing an overview of the region in emergency and abnormal situations.
Reporting an issue with water supply
As the local health protection authority, you must report water supply issues to us. Send a report by contacting the email address of your Regional State Administrative Agency.
- Southern Finland: [email protected]
- Eastern Finland: [email protected]
- Lapland: [email protected]
- Southwestern Finland: [email protected]
- Western and Inland Finland: [email protected]
- Northern Finland: [email protected]
After receiving your report, we will notify the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health.
As the local health protection authority, you must prepare a summary of the measures taken to address the issue. Once the situation has cleared, send the summary to the above-mentioned email address of your Regional State Administrative Agency and Valvira (National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health) via email.
Use the RYMY system instead of email to submit your report and summary, if
- people are suspected to have fallen ill due to contaminated water supply
- infections have been confirmed.
You may report a suspected infection and submit an epidemic analysis using the RYMY system.
You are also obligated to report to us if you notice any deviations from quality requirements in the supervision of small water supply plants or food premises monitored under the household water regulation.