Wildlife hospitals

As of 1 January 2024, a notification must be submitted on the care of wild animals. This will enable the authorities to better monitor the quality of care and ensure that the care of animals is in good hands.

What do I do if I have a wildlife hospital?

If you have a wildlife hospital, you must submit a notification of the facility. You can submit the notification 

  • directly to the register of animal keepers 
  • with a form
  • with a free-form written notification. 

EUR 85 is charged for the processing of the notification.

If the hospital is currently in operation, submit a notification by 1 March 2024.

If you will start your operations after 1 January 2024, submit the notification no later than 30 days before your operations begin.

What information should I include in the notification?

Include in your notification:

  • your name
  • the name and contact information of the hospital
  • a statement on the competence of the keeper(s) of the animals;
  • an account of your activities and their scope:
  • the species and numbers of animals concerned;
  • an account of the conditions in which the animals are housed;
  • a statement of how the care of the animals is to be arranged.

If your wildlife hospital activities change or end, submit a written notification also in that case. 

How should I submit the notification if not directly to the register?

Send the notification to the Regional State Administrative Agency in whose area your wildlife hospital is located. 

List of municipalities

Registry services

Please note

Animals may not be kept permanently in a wildlife hospital.

A wild animal taken to a wildlife hospital must be released back into the wild when the animal is fit enough. 

Links to relevant legislation